Planned Transportation Spending
An examination of Missouri’s 2012-2016 Statewide Transportation Improvement Program* reveals that road maintenance/minor widening projects account for the largest chunk of planned spending (28 percent). Bridge maintenance/replacement projects follow, 24 percent of the STIP. Transit projects account for 21 percent** of the planned spending. New road capacity projects account for 12 percent and safety projects make up 5 percent. Projects classified as “other,” which include freight, information technology and planning, make up 4 percent. Bridge capacity expansion projects account for 3 percent of the planned spending. Road or bridge projects with bicycle/pedestrian components (such as adding sidewalks when reconstructing a roadway) make up 2 percent of the STIP, and bicycle/pedestrian projects 1 percent. share
Proposed Spending, FY 2012-2016*
|Project Type||Cost (Millions)|
|Road Maintenance/Minor Widening||$1,001.50|
|Road/Bridge Project with Bike/Ped Components||$88.22|
|New Road Capacity||$420.40|
|Bridge Capacity Expansion||$123.30|
* Transit portion is from 2011-2015.
**61 percent of the transit category is federal funds. Of the remaining 39 percent, more than half of these funds (61 percent) is devoted to track upgrades to improve Amtrak service.
*** Transit total does not include $900,000 in ferry boat operating assistance.